The Bridge over the Casselman River near Grantsville in Garrett County, started in 1813 and completed in 1815, was at one time the longest single span stone arch bridge in the United States. The bridge forded what was then known as the Little Youghiogheny and it was along the National Road from Cumberland to Wheeling and beyond. David Shriver, the superintendent of construction of the Cumberland Road Bridge, hired Abraham Kerne and John Byrson. The bridge has been repaired but remains a testimony to their design and workmanship, providing passage for countless freight and passenger vehicles, pedestrians, and livestock on America's first federally-funded and built highway. The bridge was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1963 and is owned by the State of Maryland and preserved as part of the Casselman Bridge State Park.
See also Casselman River Bridge State Park History, Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
Western Maryland Regional Library is grateful to the Ruth Enlow Library and the Springs Historical Society for their help with this collection.